Sunday, September 9, 2012

Retro life without a car

Remember way back, back when you had to ask to be taken somewhere.  Back when you were very young?  I do.  I lived in a small town of less than 500 people.  It was a mixture of loggers and wood products mill workers with a few tradesmen and farmers mixed in.  Some had wife's that ran small local stores, others had farms they came home to after work so they worked the land.  Most were church going, almost all drank, many had large families to support.  Kids did what kids did, play outside from morning wake-up to dusk with breaks for meals and school.  There were only 5 TV channels to watch.  CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and a local independent station which showed old shows and movies with a kids show with cartoons on for us kiddies.

This week has been something like that for us.  Ruku for TV, no cable as Comcast went all digital and we do not have TVs that have built in converters and we never were able to get converters back when the feds were sending out vouchers as the stores were always out when we would go to get them.  Now once again we are waiting to see if there are any converters on the shelves.  Each time we go in the converters are sold out.  The prices we can find online do seem good until you  add on the $13+ dollar shipping charges.  Alas I am also without a car.  Our pick-up did a smashing wreck last February and we used the check to pay off property taxes which are high here in Oregon.  We have had the Jeep which has done us well as OAM is not to be driving much with his health anyway.  Now to stay at home where the nearest store is 3 miles away, the nearest store of size is 6 miles away.  We stocked up.  Our daughter did come out Friday to take OAM to the back, the local discount dented can and deli store and Walmart for dog food.  I had hoped to go to Wilco and get chicks this week did not happen, To go get some furniture to paint and fix up what I have,  go get some plywood to fix my furniture I have currently.  Then to start looking for areas to paint one thing at a time with so this house is livable again. 

We have gotten things done we would not have if not home.   Dogs trained, showers cleaned, bathrooms cleaned (this is saying alot when you have 4 bathroom and 5 showers)  Yes who ever built this house made one room that was just for wheel chair showers.  The kittens were named.  There have been many a night going to bed earlier getting up earlier.  We like each  other so time together has been good.  Meals have been so so as I am still working on that kitchen.  The dogs helped yesterday while we were out training dogs.  The dogs inside tore into the ww flour, the bread flour, the standard flour, and some of the sugars.  Dan now understands about me needing storage containers not only to keep mice out of but to store supplies in the kitchen. 

It has been hard for me to start my life over here in this house it just called to me but I am having trouble finding a way to make it a home.  It has been 7 years I thought I would have figured it out by now but there has been so much to overcome or do first.  Kids moving in and out, illnesses, injuries, and diseases took their toll, plus a lack or hope we would ever live here long enough to make it a home.  Well looks like this will be the homeplace no matter what at least for a decade or two more.  Time to get my head out of the sand and make this place work.  One thing at a time.  Kitchen counters too low will figure out if you can get new cabinets or raise the one's you have or do you say hell lets move the kitchen into the stick built side and gut the trailer house part as it is only a third of the square footage anyway.  Like I said one step at a time we will face the foes and meet them head on. 

I am off to go see if I can work some magic into the kitchen as I want to move some shelves, in and out and out to in, wash and tag them all if I can.  I want to see life come back into this place so it can be a home.  Those calves we let friends put on our place well they sure make a place feel like a home now to bring that feeling into this house.  Pictures maybe soon. 

Take care now you hear,

Ol' Mossback Tough

No comments:

Post a Comment