Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What a day! Good, Bad, to foot We go.

We started the day out with a sale to someone who came to the place mid-morning.  It got us up and going so we were are a small cafe on the way into Albany for lunch after doing some banking in Lebanon.  Lunch was nice, but the a/c was not working so I left there hot and sweaty with a bit of a headache.  We had just pasted the entering Albany, OR sign when we got into trouble.  We had four cars in front of us.  Two were pick-ups with trailers of material in there beds.  The one close to me looked like it was someone moving, the pick-up and trailer was following a auto which was following another pick-up that had the parts for an old pick-up early 1920 or 30's pickup parts rusty, many parts, many pieces.  One piece fell off the old pickup on the trailer twisted rolled under the auto and pick up and trailer in front of me hitting something which made that bit of metal bounce higher timing it just right so it hit underneath our jeep.  Then we heard a clunk, a snap, then a do not repeat word from me.  That started the down slide of the day. 

I noticed the jeep was just a bit harder to steer when I tried moving as the 4 autos in front of me pulled off into a gas station or storage unit area who driveways were about 5 feet apart.  I drove up to the next stoplight and Dan noticed the electrical unit was not charger on our gages.  I was on an overpass so there was not way to pull over at that stoplight.  I was trying to follow Old Army Man advice and get to a repair shop that was only a bit ahead.  The jeep started overheating smoke going everywhere, the was more smoke with blue and white coming out from under the hood.  Alas I panicked tuned off the jeep,maybe not the best idea, OAM and another man help push the jeep out of the road and into a safe parking space. 

We called out daughter,..... help!!!   We call our auto repair shop, leave a message, and wait.  Daughter showed up directly, helped us get things out of the jeep, then we start off to our repair shop.  Our repairshop is a few miles out of Albany, we pull in, get the name of the tow shop he likes to use.  When I worked in the auto repair industry I learned if you use the tow company the repair shop likes the tow company often gives a discount.  Well the tow company our repairman liked happened to be my first choice as well I use to work for this fellow 20 some years ago.  The tow guy was on another tow, but we would be next on his list.  4 hours later we were about out of topics to talk about with out repairman when the tow truck with our daughter following in her auto showed up.  Thank the Lord it made it there safe. 

I must say we did get help from above as the tow cost were 1/3 less than they would have been because we waited for him, knew him, and the repairman once he looked at it made a mental list of things that it could be.  The call today confirmed radiator one hole in it, belt to power steering gone but not serpentine belt.  One pulley needing replacing with the leak in the back from the overflow reserve so not a big problem there. 

Daughter drove us home with us stopping to get a few things until we can get back into town.  We have only one auto at this time so we are afoot if we wish to go anywhere.  Made appointment for daughter to pick us up Thursday to take me to work and to run Dan around if need be. 

Made it home, my cell phone had been off all day due to the battery running down faster than I thought it would.  Dang it once I turned the cell on did I find a note saying we want to bring the calves over, called the horseshoe, and several other messages along with on our way with the calves.  As I read this OAM is walking out the front door, I see the pick up and trailer pull up and start backing in, DD helps by opening the gate, the livestock trailer backs in, up to the fence were we had a gate.  In the mean time DD runs up and puts the lgd up into the house, while we see the calves come out of the trailer, OAM moves the first calf-5 wt-into the back field. 

DD had to leave asap to go take her bother food shopping, seems her day was upset as well as ours.  I did get dd to stop and get fresh veggies at the food stand, so we had fresh bi-color corn, cukes, and a few other things that were wiped out from our garden fresh garlic, green onions, and watermelon.  Dinner was pork steak broiled, corn microwaved, zucchini w/ gr pepper, onion, and fresh herbs,  salad.  At least we will not go hungry for a few days.

Better hope the rest of the week goes better than today. 
Take Care,

Ol' Mossback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment