Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Made Iced Coffee this weekend


Made iced coffee over the weekend, yes I did!  So good, now to recall how to stay awake all day long and not take super long naps.  Used just Folgers Coffee this time, it came out well.  I can pick Folgers up at the second’s store in town for half the cost of the name brand stores, plus other items I save on, like cottage cheese, a quart for 99 cents. I like going there to shop first then see what else I need.  They even have frozen meat sometimes which can really help stretch the food budget.  Going there is streaky so I see what is there first then fill in the gaps.  If I see something I will need in a few weeks or months form then, like cranberry sauce for two quarts for a dollar fifty, I get it then wished I had more.  Old Army Guy likes homey in his stews and soups so when I see it for 3 for a dollar I load up with 6 cans.  Which will last me will into spring if not I get more. 

Not each time do I load up on things, but with a fresh deli of Amish made cheeses and meats I find hard to pass on good meats for sandwiches.  Sometimes I have them slice the chopped ham the thickest slices they can then come home and freeze each slice on its own then use the slices to flavor bean soups or other savory soups. 
Chopped bacon needs to be made and bundled up as it is getting that season where I use the bacon flavor to help cover the lack of meat in some meals.  Potato Soup with bacon in the broth helps meet the need of “meat” my tongue asks for yet gets veggies into OAM (Old Army Man)  if I sneak some into the Green bean soup, one of my favorite ways to eat green beans, once the novelty of fresh steamed, pressure cooked, or just plan fresh wears a body down.  I purchase the bacon now as it is often on sale for BLT’s of summer eating.  Cutting it up into usable size bacon bits to fry later and store them in ice cube trays in baggies until frozen then put them in a larger zipper bag to keep them together.  I do this with other items I buy in large number 10 (commercial size cans) as I can get lots of meals out of one can for half the price of buying thes same amount in smaller cans.  Corn and chili work well for this along with other things I may see in large cans now and then. 
We have three refrigerators.  One is for the livestock and dogs meds, and dried milk replacers storage.  One is pop, ice tea, cold beverages, plus overflow and large item storage, and then there is the kitchen frig.  I love the overflow frig.  It has a place to put the next night’s meat out to defrost, remember those large cans of food I purchased will some was mustard, mayo, and ketchups.  I repackage some, others I leave in there packaging.  Last might I had pork chops defrosting and OAM got out steaks so I went to the frig, got out the Carna Asada sauce for that night, put a sweet soy sauce over the pork steaks, and tonight I will have Asian style pork with cold slaw (also from the overflow frig as the container is filled each month during the last few days of the month as OAM likes a vinegar based cold slaw so he gets it at the end of the month when other fresh veggies have run out) and then a jasmine rice which in the summer I store in the freezer part of the 2nd frig due to Indian Meal moths in the house.  Then once again back to that 2nd frig as dessert will be watermelon as it is too big to put in the kitchen frig.    Dinner tomorrow night I will need to pull out of the big freezer tonight after OAM gets home he was stopping by the store to get food he likes or I had forgotten or we were out of before coming home tonight.  Two more days and two more nights of him in summer session and we will be free of college for a while.  Doctors found some things in need of care so we will see if he goes back to college or what in September. 

Other things you will find in that second frig, oranges, apples, extra carrots, other root veggies in the fall and winter, spices, sauces I purchase in bulk, in the freezer is frozen milk, flours, etc that meal moths get into in the summer and in the winter frozen meals I make ahead for tax season.  If I make double in Nov-Dec then the meals I come home to are homemade rather than fast food or eating at midnight when I am working during tax season.  I often will go to bed w/o, but now that I have sugar issues I need to eat something to keep on track.  If we can, we butcher a pig and or a cow, but this year with ORM injured we sold the beef and sheep off and the goats are too small to butcher so we will need to talk about if we are buying half a pig or beef or what.  We do not even have a chicken right now which is so strange for us.  We do have the dogs, but they are the bread and butter of how we earn an income off this small farm of ours. 



 

Back to the second frig.  I love having it.  I went without for three years and found it hard to manage.  In the old cabin in the wood were I first had my home there was a cold storage box that was in the coldest part of the home in the summer that we could keep things cooler in like onions and mustards, but not mayo.  In the second place we had in Albany, we had an old frig which we kept things ready made for the kids to eat in the summer so they did not have to come into the house all the time to snack or get drinks. That frig out in the breezeway helped by cutting down the home cooling bills and allowing their dad who worked nights to sleep without the doors slamming all day long.  I made Kool-Aid and froze it in lidded reusable cups or paper cups and the kids could get them out and eat on them or drink them as they wanted.  I also had cheeses, sliced meats, cut up veggies and fruit and such for them to pull out and share if they had friends with them.  Along with cookies and such now and then to treat the other kids and my own or for them to grab for a meal if they wanted as long as I knew, some days I even packed lunches and put it out there for them so they babysitter did not have to make lunches on the days I worked.  It worked slick until I was feeding the whole neighborhood then we had to put rules on the who’s and whens of eating out of our frig.   

 

Better go time to fix myself up a bit before OAM gets home.   Wash my hands, run a comb though my hair, and well check to see if there are any dishes ready to use or if I need to do a other load of dishes before we can eat.  Next maybe I will write about limited water pressure and the effects on getting housework done the modern way.  Who will know, I will see what strikes me when I sit down to write. 

 

So long for now,

 

Old Mossback

 Iced Coffee

 

One 12 oz “can” of coffee

water

Pour coffee into a large container, cover with three times the water.  Let sit at least 12 hrs on the counter, but I never get to it before at least two days due to my lack of planning.  Stir, and stir ever twelve hours or so, strain the mixer into a mesh strainer.  Rinse out the large container.  Let the coffee mix sit a bit longer use a coffee filter this time and strain into the rinsed out large container.  Rinse out the storage container once empty of all the segment and then pour the coffee mix into the storage container.  Put in frig.  I sweeten mine with stevia and use whole milk about 2 oz. of coffee, two-three drops of stevia, and 2 oz. of whole milk to a glass filled with ice.  Now fix it to be favored by adding almond flavoring or such to the coffee or purchased a flavored coffee and go from there to sit and drink your refreshing iced coffee you made for the cost of one iced coffee at a coffee house.  This lasts me about three to five days on hot summer days or very long hard not much sleep nights otherwise I make it like once a week or every 10 days when I can.    

No comments:

Post a Comment